Savory tea eggs were one of my favourite comforting snacks growing up. They are packed with flavours and are easy to make.
Like many dishes, families have their own recipes for tea eggs. You can definitely be creative to play with a combination of spices and teas you like. The followings are what I used for this recipe:
- 10 eggs
- 3 teaspoons of our house blend Masala Chai (If you are not using spiced tea, double or triple the amount of spices mentioned below.)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star-anise
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
Simplified steps to cook:
- Boil the eggs in water: Put eggs in a pot of cold water. Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 7 minutes. (Make sure there is enough water to cover the eggs.)
- Drain the eggs and cool in cold water. When it’s cool enough for you to touch, crack the eggshells using the back of a spoon. (This step is very important. You want the eggshells to crack enough without breaking the shells apart.)
- Put cracked eggs back in a pot. Add all other ingredients and just enough water to cover the eggs. Bring water to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once it’s done, leave the eggs in marinade overnight.
If you like eating warm eggs like me. Simply heat up the eggs in the marinade liquid before eating. It’s delicious and brings back happy memories of my childhood.